Monday, September 30, 2013

Elder Phillips sent some pictures :)

Dear Friends and Family,

Sorry everyone, this is going to be short.  I keep getting rushed for time. 

We had companion exchanges this week.  My companion went with my old buddy from the MTC named Elder Walter.  A guy named Elder Wong came with me.  He was born in Canada, but his dad spake Cantonese to him growing up so his language skills are basically perfect.  We decided to go night finding, it can get a little sketchy in Hong Kong.  We ran into a guy that was less active for three years apparently.  I asked him why he stopped coming to church.  He had some crazy answer,  it was pretty weird.  We still taught him and got his contact info, it was not in our records.  Maybe we will see him again, I don't know.  He wasn't a crazy guy or anything, he just had a lot of crazy ideas.  Not sure if I want to meet him again or not :)

Other than that, transfers are next week.  I think I will be staying here in Wuh Dihp, but you never know what will happen.  I can't believe it has already been nine weeks, almost. 

Some people have asked me if they think I will come back to Hong Kong, so I'll write it to everyone.  I would like to come back and live here temporarily, but I would not want to live here permanently.  We talk to a lot of old people in our area because a lot of people in the outskirts of Hong Kong are old people.  And they are the only ones who don't have to work or go to school.  It's kinda sad, a lot of them are basically just forgotten by their family. So I think they go a little nuts.  They just walk around Hong Kong all day.  Then they sleep.

I've seen some pretty pathetic sights, like this old couple were watching a guy in the park fix something for two hours.  We walked by and we walked back two hours later and they were still there. They have nothing to do!  

That's all I got for today, it turned out to be longer than I thought because I haven't gotten kicked off yet.  Awesome!  Love you.

Elder Phillips

Dear Mom and Dad
(excerpt from letter)
I got Lexi's package.  Can you tell her for me, I am too short on time.  Tell her I love her and those mint Oreos were so great.  But the best were their letters!! I will write them next week. 

Thanks for fasting for me!  Our ward here is doing a fast too.  Sweet I can't wait to send my next letter to you all when Corey's family vist.  It sounds like you guys get to feed the missionaries a ton.  I bet they're grateful!  The other day, a member from my companion's old area came and found us and took us to eat.  Turns out I knew their son because he is serving a mission in Provo, and when I was in the MTC I met him at the temple and talked with him since he is from Hong Kong.  But they gave us dinner and also bought us a ton of groceries.  Anyway got to go!

Love,
Elder Phillips

Here are some pictures, the first one is a view from our window, we live on the 31st floor of a building. Check out the Red cropped pants...got them on the streets of Hong Kong...ha :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment