Sunday, June 30, 2013

Week One at the MTC!!

Week 1

So the MTC.  It's a love-hate type of relationship so far.  They threw me into the deep end right away by learning Cantonese from day one.  My teacher only speaks Cantonese to us.  It has some very frustrating moments but I have made good strides in the language. I know God has helped me in that way.  I've probably learned more Cantonese in the first few days here than all my three years of Spanish.  So my English is deteriorating as you can probably tell, but it is just fine!  I'm singing in the choir and for anyone wanting to know their is a worldwide church broadcast where I and thousands (literally) of other missionaries will be singing.  Maybe if you watch it you will see me.  If you're lucky.  Kidding. 
 
The first few days were honestly pretty rough, but we got a nice break on Sunday and today is my Personal Day so it feels slightly like a weekend.  But we get back to class at six thirty tonight so maybe not so much.  I haven't gotten a full 8 hours of sleep at all since I've been here.  But I've really come to appreciate when I get to exercise or even church time.  Everybody thinks I speak Mandarin here, because the Chinese characters for mandarin and cantonese are basically the same.  Somehow I get one of the most difficult languages in the MTC and we get out in some tiny classroom for nine weeks!  It's all good though I'm mostly joking. 
 
There were some doubtful thoughts about if I wanted to do this for two years the first two days I was here.  But I was sitting in class one day and I felt the Holy Ghost tell me that God loved me, and I could feel that love.  And it made me want so badly to try to get somebody in Hong Kong to feel that love.  So I know what I am doing is right.  I feel happy, but extremely busy.  Which I am just fine with.  These won't be too long, but I'll send them every week on Monday and leave you with a different scripture that applies to my situation.  Love you all! 
 
"And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.  For I reckon that the suffering of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8: 17-18






No comments:

Post a Comment